Saturday, April 12, 2014

Chocolate Lovers' Fling a Chocolate Lovers' Delight!

This last Sunday I volunteered at the 28th Annual Chocolate Lovers' Fling. As the name implies, it is an annual event that supports the Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine (SARSSM). And as the name implies, it is focused on chocolate - one of my greatest loves. I had wanted to attend last year but couldn't justify the cost of a ticket with my budget, so I volunteered. I figured I was helping to support a very good cause by volunteering just as much as attending as a guest, and either way would get me some amazing incredible chocolate. I was not wrong; I had a wonderful fun time, and ate an insane amount of chocolate that totally dazzled my taste buds.This year when SARSSM asked if I wanted to volunteer again and I immediately said yes.

The event was held at the Holiday Inn in Portland. I showed up at 9:00, and after checking in made my way to the Chocolate prep room. This is a magical room, where the creators of the chocolate bring all the samples of their treats. My job was to make sure they were all plated and labeled properly, that there were the right number of plates, and to get them ready for the servers during the event itself. The Chocolatiers had been told to bring samples of each chocolate for 450 guests. There were 18 different chocolate treats at the event. This meant that I was in a room of 8,100 pieces of gourmet chocolate. The words pure heaven are the only thing that comes remotely close to meeting the reality of that moment. All of the Chocolatiers were from Maine, and they take a lot of pride in creating unique chocolates and desserts that represent the Maine spirit. Chocolate Stout Truffles, Death by Chocolate Cheesecake, Moose Mint Brownies, Dulce de Yesse Cake were just a few of the delights I got to enjoy. I had a lot of fun, and left with my box of samples, the happy feeling of a day well spent, and looking forward to next to year.

No comments:

Post a Comment