Friday, March 13, 2015

Who I Am


"I think I fall in love a little bit with anyone who shows me their soul. The world is so guarded and fearful. I appreciate rawness so much."  ~Emery Allen
 

As anyone reading this likely knows, I have lately shared many details about one of the darkest moments in my life. Nothing I have shared has been easy, but never once have I regretted it. My intention for this post was to open a door that allows others to see a different part of my heart, one that is not so wrapped up in tears and angst. What I didn't know when I started writing this was that I would be giving myself a gift as well. I've commented before that writing when I am having a day helps me to handle those negative emotions and not give in to what my disorder is telling me I should do. Writing this has helped me in a different way. This is not my favorite thing I've written. It feels choppy, lacks flow, I can't quite seem to find the right way to organize all my words and thoughts. That doesn't matter though, because I think it's was meant to serve a different purpose. Writing this has helped me to remember that my whole life hasn't been about anorexia and that my whole life will not always be consumed by it. Right now most of my posts are about my recovery from anorexia, because right now feels as thought most of my life exists in the disorder. But that isn't the case. Yes I have an eating disorder. It is doing it's damn best to kill me. I am doing my damn best to make sure it doesn't. Every day is war and I am not always the victor. I will keep fighting though until I win. This has been a very up and down week for me, today especially. I got some news that is going to make the fight much harder than it has been of late. I've been working on this post for awhile, and even though I don't feel it's quite complete I think it's a good idea that I post this tonight. It's a reminder as to why I have to keep fighting. A reminder that I have dreams and hopes; I have bad habits and favorite things. It's a promise that I am so much more than just a person with an eating disorder.



I am stubborn, and sometimes whiny. I have this annoying habit of laughing when I am mad. If I'm not laughing I cry. Both are incredibly frustrating, because how do you work through an argument if one thinks you aren't being serious, or another can't understand you through the sobs? Silence, signifies that I am truly angry, and when that does happen, the anger rarely dies. I hate alcohol more than makes sense. Yes cigarettes and drugs are worse, but it is alcohol that hurt me and that pain is something I can't forget. The more I care about someone the more I hate them drinking at all. That can be tricky sometimes. I am terrified of getting cancer, but even more fearful of Alzheimer's. The idea of forgetting my life, my family, of forgetting who I am, is something that fills me with horror and dread. I honestly don't understand how anyone could prefer dogs over cats. For me a cats contented purr is better than almost anything. It's ok that I don't understand though, and it's ok that dog people (or bird people or rabbit people etc...) don't understand why I think cats are better. If we were all the same, all felt the same, believed the same, life would be boring. The world would be very dull (or possibly absolute chaos). I like to sweep, it is like a zen thing for me. I do not like washing dishes. My main way of thinking is by having "conversations" with people in my head. I imagine I'm talking to my mom, or best friend, a co-worker or sometimes a vague acquaintance and it is in that way I am able to work through an issue and come up with ideas. Sounds weird I know, but it's how my mind works. I am definitely in the mind set of quality versus quantity. I would much rather have less than others but own things that are well made and will last a long time, than have a lot. I also do not like clutter, which is unfortunate because I can create clutter faster than I can say my name. Although just to be clear, I do not consider books clutter. My favorite music genre is Celtic music, which may surprise some because I don't actually listen to it all that much. But if I was told that I could only listen to the songs of one artist for the rest of my life, I would choose Mary Chapin Carpenter. I am not religious by any means, but I do think there is something greater in the earth or the universe than humans. I don't know what that is, but I just don't think we live and die and that's it. I'm not too concerned about figuring it out though; call it God, or Gods, the language of the Universe, or magic, all I know is that there is something connecting all of us. I don't talk about this much because I have very religious friends who want me to turn that feeling into following their religion, and very non-religious friends who would think I am crazy. I think people just need to leave others alone and be less inintolerant of those who disagree with them. My mom, my sisters and my best friend are the most important and most loved people in my life. I wouldn't trade the parents I have, or the sisters I was given for anything. I have not always been the kindest big sister, and that is something I will forever regret. However, I do love them both, more than my own life and I would do anything to make sure they are ok. The memory of my dad is always with me. "Treat people the way you want to be treated", "Take responsibility for the consequences of your actions", and "Follow your bliss", things he used used to say that echo in my mind daily. He was very big on trust and passed that on to me. I know I screwed up and lost the trust of a many people, and I am working very hard to get that back. I love Alaska more than any other thing in my life. I miss it more than I could possibly ever hope to express, and I think that if I ever let myself truly acknowledge the strength of that feeling my tears would never stop. I have left a part of me behind there, so that no matter where I go or what I am doing, a piece of my heart is wandering through the Chugach forest waiting for me to come back to claim it. If Alaska has my heart, then Big Bend has my soul. Never has my spirit felt more free or alive than when I was climbing the mountains of that great desert or floating through the canyon walls along the Rio Grande. I do want to know what it feels like to be head over heels in love with someone, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Most people today approach dating in a way that is just not who I am. They meet online, they go to a bar with friends. That isn't me. And if I were to meet someone I liked the idea of actually telling them...well, jumping out of a plane sounds easier. I am a night owl by nature, and for me staying up late is as easy as breathing. Whether I am climbing a mountain, mushing through the woods, on a roadtrip with friends, or curled up at home reading, everything feels more right when it is dark and the stars have their chance to shine. And when I've stayed up all night and get to see the sunrise, well, that is my favorite time of day. I am a daughter of the moon and love it in all its stages. I have often gone out to dance beneath it when it's full - an absolute incredible experience and something I recommend everyone try at least once. Most people know that the Big Dipper is my favorite constellation. In my mind, those stars are Alaska's, when I see them I am home. I have studied those stars and looked up their names. To me they've become a family of brothers and sisters each with a distinct personality. When I look up into the sky at night not only does the site of them transport me home, but I also sense theirs is a story waiting to be told, I just haven't learned it yet. I have long been wanting to learn all of the constellations but, to borrow a line I once read “Aside from the Dipper and Orion and the Teapot, constellations tend to hide in the stars". Someday though I will find them. I never feel more vulnerable, more connected to the world than just upon waking. I think that is because in sleep my body remembers forgets to be dominated by sight, and remembers to take in the world with all of my senses. I love the world of dreams I fall into while sleeping. They defy laws of nature, they fail to make sense. Some I forget even before waking, but others I think will stay with me always. The times where I can fly. Dreams where I'm camped on the oceans floor and whales swim by me.  And one night where a sparkling rainbow hung over the ocean at midnight. Sure there are times when nightmares take over, but I would gladly take a few nights of waking up terrified in order for me to wake most mornings full of wonder. Winter is my favorite season. I find it comforting when snow covers the ground, like a huge blanket is wrapped around the earth. When I am home curled up in my own blankets and I see the snow outside, I feel especially secure. I may have been born in summer, but I am definitely Winter's child.  I really don't like summer - unless I'm in Alaska. I prefer it's cooler summer weather, I don't mind the rain, and I so love the long hours of daylight that occur in northern summers. I don't like heat, I despise humidity. That isn't to say I am miserable all summer or that I can't enjoy it at all, because I'm not and I do. It's simply that during spring and summer I always feel like something is missing, and it's only when fall and winter return that the world feels right. There are a few places though where summer never ends that I think I could be happy in. Hawaii comes to mind, I think I could be content there for awhile. I feel safest when I am surrounded by mountains. When I can look up and see - in any direction - those tall, solid guards warding off my perceived dangers of the world. The fact that I don't have them in Maine is a constant source of anxiety for me. I see hints of magic everywhere. I feel a fairy hiding behind the next tree in the woods, I look up at a mountain ridge and imagine vampires running and leaping across the top. I look across a valley at a mountain peak to spot a dragon flying land at it's top and roar fire over the valley and river below. It is harder for me to find those moments in Maine, and I think that is just one of the many reasons why I miss Alaska as much as I do. There I could be anywhere and look up to see magic hiding, while here I have to go look for it. I wish for magic to be real more than I could ever say. I am drawn to the colors indigo, purple, silver, and gold because it is within them that the reality of magic is most present. It is likely why I prefer night to day. With people home at sleep you are less aware of their presence, and the darkness and quietness of night brings magical promises to life. I would give just about anything to be able to walk through Hogwarts Halls, watch the waterfalls at Rivendell, or step through a wardrobe into Narnia. If I was told it was possible, if someone said I could step through the pages of a book into a world of spells, and unicorns and wizards I would do it. Even if that meant leaving everything and everyone I love behind forever. With one caveat though - this new world must have mountains, the stars and the moon. Those are three things I cannot live without. I love words. Love the way some look on the page, the way they feel in your mouth as you say them, how some flow so smoothly together when you write them, love meaning they've been given. I love when they can stand  strong on their own, or when they've been combined to form the most beautiful phrases or unconditional truths. There are times they touch me so much I wish I could live inside them, not in the stories they create or the promises they hold, but in the actual words themselves. With my love of magic and words it makes perfect sense that books are my favorite escape. They have been even before I could read thanks to my mom reading to me and playing books on tape. I could live in a bookstore or library if allowed. And while I love all libraries and bookstores, the best ones are the ones with a cat. My dream home has the library from Beauty in the Beast, and while I realize that might be a slightly unrealistic wish, someday I will have a home library if only a small one. Books are one thing I collect, coffee cups are the other. And speaking of coffee, to me the smell of fresh brewed coffee first thing in the morning is one of the best in the world. I have recently begun to start all my days with a cup of coffee in bed and it has become one of the best gifts I could give myself. My love of coffee is something that extends past it's wonderful smell and exquisite taste. In my mind it provides a connection between me and others. There is something very special about sharing a cup of coffee with a friend, something incredibly rewarding about having someone make a cup of coffee for you. It extends past borders and boundaries, across culture and through time. As far as what type of coffee I prefer, hands down I'm a dark roast kind of girl. I am happiest when I am reading, creating, learning, exploring, and moving. I want to spend time on a coffee bean plantation, not just visit, but actually stand side by side with the workers and work alongside them. I want to experience what they do, and understand as fully as possible all that it takes to make my early morning coffee possible. I want to do the same with a cocoa tree plantation. I want to spend time in Africa to help stop the illegal poaching of rhinos and elephants. I want to work to completely end the hunting of whales. I want to go on an extended 'job shadow' if you will, of someone who photographs whales way out into the ocean. To swim with whales, now that is one of my deepest desires. Spirit animals: if we have one, mine is a whale - humpbacks specifically. And if I ever had the chance to turn into another animal that is what I choose. More than anywhere in the world I want to visit Antarctica. My hope is that someday I will find a job the allows me to spend time there. I don't care what the job is, I just want to be able to explore that part of the earth. I want to feel the extreme cold, live in months of daylight - or darkness -, to feel that isolation that can only be found at the bottom of the world. I want to spend time in Italy living over a small family restaurant. In return for room and board I'll work for free and learn how to cook incredible, delicious meals. I want to explore all of Ireland, to walk out in the cold air and fog, for my skin to soak up the Irish rain and history of the land. I want to touch every hill, rock, crag, and keep watch for the leprechauns and fairies...I want to see all of the world. I don't want to die wondering what it is like to walk through the streets of Paris, or to wonder forever if the waters of Greece are really that blue. I want to experience all cultures, to learn new ways of life. I wish I had been gifted with the ability to draw, to paint, to sculpt etc... I know my efforts are not the worst in the world, but they always leave me less than satisfied. My ultimate dream is to be a writer, but I do not know if that is something that will ever come true. My idea of a the perfect ‘lazy day’ would be to go for an early morning 15 mile run and then spend the rest of the day in bed watching movies and reading and drinking coffee. I do know though that my body is not something that will ever support running 15 miles so that lazy day will never happen. But I do love to be active. I love to move. I like pushing myself so that when I go to bed at the end of each day I feel pleasantly exhausted. I have learned; however, am still learning that pushing your body to extreme limits is unkind (to yourself) and does more harm than good. Still, for me to go through a day without moving is an unpleasant experience. I love knowing secrets. I often wish I could go back in history and discover the truths of some of our greatest mysteries. I think the reason I love learning other languages and writing in code, and the reason behind my fascination of locked roll top desks and travelling trunks is because they hold inside them secrets waiting to be uncovered. I am both a classic introvert and very shy. My introverted tendencies make it easy for me to stay home and just hang out with my cats. That actually is often what I prefer. My idea of a fun Friday night would be stay home in pajamas, while working on a puzzle and listening to Harry Potter, or watching a movie and crocheting, or reading -always reading. I do have fun going out with family and friends but in order to recharge and build up my energy I need time to be alone. My shyness holds me back from suggesting plans. I always feel like I am imposing myself upon others and that if I ask them to hang out they only say yes because they don't want to be rude. I feel like it's only when they ask that they truly want to see me. Regardless of the reasons behind plans with friends, I always prefer to see one or two other friends at a time rather than go out in a big group. And a night in with friends watching movies, playing games, working on art projects and/or talking, is definitely preferable then going out to a party. When I look back on the things I am most proud of in my life, they usually have to do with moments when something scared me and I did it anyways. I want people to see me as fearless. I am working hard to become so, but there are so many things I have not yet been able to do because of fear. Much of my fear is centered around people rather than actions or activities. Drive across the country - no problem. But going up and talking to someone I don't know, or putting into words thoughts that have been filling my mind, that is a very scary thing for me, a hurdle I have yet to make great progress on. When I imagine the future, I see myself living Alaska, in a smallish cabin set deep in the woods on the side of a mountain. Looking out my windows I have my own view of the mountains stretching wide across a river valley. Somewhere nearby is a river, or brook, or waterfall, and in the summer I can lie in bed and hear the flow of the water through my open windows. My home will be surrounded by lilac trees and silver maples, and I'll have gardens full of roses, and daisies, and forget-me-nots. I'll spend my days walking through the woods with my two dogs – a husky and a golden retriever – and my nights I'll be curled up with my cats, reading, next to a woodstove fire in my library. I don't know that vision will ever happen. It's possible that over time my dream will change into some new kind of wonderful. Either way it's a nice thing to carry with me through my days of wandering.

I dream sometimes of a midnight knock at my door. That I'll open it and find someone waiting to take my hand and escape into a world of adventure. There are days where I want to step out of my life and disappear into the woods forever. I have moments of wondering if my deepest desires will ever happen. Sometimes I don't know what I want, all I know is I want change to step back into my life. The question for me though is not when or where or how, but that if that moment comes will I be brave enough to take it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment