Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Fun Little Exercise

One afternoon at Mercy one of the social workers handed all the patients a sheet with a list of the following objects: animal, color, music, flower, tree, food and texture.

She told us to complete the following two sentences "If I were a ..... I would be this" and "If someone said I was a ..... this is what they would choose". It was actually a fun activity and when we had gone through the entire list we started coming up with new examples of things we could choose. The purpose of the activity I think, was to recognize the difference in the way we view ourselves versus how we think others see us. Given the fact that we keep certain aspects of our true selves secret from others, it makes sense that we think they might come up with a different answer.  I was curious at the end of it to see what people would say if I did indeed ask them what they thought we would be, and so with a few people I did. I was right on a couple of occasions and given answers that were quite surprising on others. My favorite by far was was my sister Kairi's answer to what music I would be "smooth jazz with a touch of heavy metal".

I think about that activity often. I know right now my idea of what other's physically see when they look at me is likely pretty off, because right now my own view is rather skewed. I wonder too the person they see based off everything I've shared with the world. If anyone reading this is up for it, I would love to know what you think I would be with regards to the objects listed above. Mostly though, I want to encourage you to try this little exercise for yourselves. Come on with your answers to both questions and then ask people to see how their responses compare. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment