Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My Library Has Surpassed Itself In Awesomeness!!

It never fails....

Yesterday after work, I walked down to the library to return a couple books on tape. With every step I took I reminded myself that I DID NOT NEED to get any more books while there. I am currently reading three books and have one more from the library waiting in the wings, I absolutely, definitely, did not need to bring home anymore. I walked inside steadfast in my decision - and walked back out holding three new books and a Shakespeare play.

When had I stepped inside to drop off my things I decided it wouldn't kill me if I just walked to check out my favorite shelf - Staff Picks - just to see if there was anything I might want to keep in mind for the next time I did actually need a book. But I couldn't make it there before first picking up "The Book of William ' How Shakespeare's First Folio Conquered the World" by  Paul Collins, nor could I pass by the shelf of books reccomended for Diana Gabaldon fans (a woman whose books took over my life in 2012) without walking away from it holding the biggest book there "The Historian" by Eliza Kostova. It took all of my willpower to ignore "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy resting on the shelf of Russian literature, because as much as I do truly want to read that book I decided that two books really should be my limit.That is until I found this...



The library has taken a bunch of books, wrapped them in paper and twine, and set them out for readers to have a "Blind Date With a Book". There is a short description on the front of each that lets one know a little about the story, but no titles or author names are given, so we have no idea what book we're picking. I can't even say how much I LOVE this idea!! I love the way it's wrapped, love the mystery behind the paper, love the idea of the surprise you get when opening it. Needless to say I wanted to bring home all of them but knew doing so would be slightly impractical. So after much agonizing and debate and analyzing of descriptions I picked just one:

"Seeking mystery fans who yearn for literate, intelligent, sophisticated whodunits. When a young art expert discovers a murder hidden in a valuable fifteenth-century Flemish painting, she must overcome some unscrupulous twentieth-century characters to uncover the identity of the killer. An inventive plot, gripping suspense, fascinatingly complex characters, and innovative incorporation of art, literature, and music will enthrall readers looking for something a little different"

It's now sitting on my bookshelf at home still wrapped. I've decided to work on the books I'm currently reading, and maybe start this one on Saturday. It'll be kind of like a little Valentines day gift to myself - and what better gift than a new book!?!

And while reading last night, I got a little reminder that, however great books are, they always take second place to a curious kitten wanting attention!


Have a great day everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment