Tuesday, June 6, 2017

It Can't Happen Here

This past weekend I read the final words of Sinclair Lewis' 'It Can't Happen Here', a "cautionary
tale" about a new president establishing a dictatorship in order to save the country from an all-consuming crisis. The book was published 1935, yet certain passages have me all but convinced that Lewis discovered the secret to time travel and witnessed the 2016 presidential election. I suffered a whirlwind of emotions throughout it: apprehension, incredulity, resigned amusement, a flutter of fear, and doubting disbelief - Yes, the election played out in the book, could have been the prophecy of last years, but there's no way what happened after could really happen now - could it?'. '

I'd like to think that with the advances in technology and social media today the country's safe, that I'm just experiencing a moment of paranoid fear, but honestly who knows. I freely admit that I trust this current president about as much as I would a President Lord Voldemort (should he ever run, win, and - you know - be real). I despise Trump and am disgusted with the direction he has taken the country. I wouldn't put it past him to go after a dictatorship if he sees an opening to do so, and with the absurd amount of supporters who continue to follow him (a fact that makes me downright ashamed), he just might.

I recommend this book not because it will bring one enjoyment and happiness, but because it makes one truly ponder the importance of the principles this country was built upon. Obviously, I may - ok do - have some very strong, biased opinions about this government. Those who share those same political ideologies would likely have family similar thoughts were they to read this book, and I would love to discuss it with them (this would make for an excellent reading club choice). I'd also be interested though in hearing the opinions and insight of those who do not ascribe to those same beliefs, because as much as I try to understand where they're coming from I just can't. But maybe by continuing to talk differences through (and I will concede that the harshness dialogue in my previous paragraph is perhaps not the most conducive to such discussions) we can someday breach the ever expanding differences between us and really work together to improve this country. I hope so, because if not, then someday, we might wake up to find that it did happen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment