Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Where I Am From




I am from the wintery mountains of Alaska
the fields of fireweed spread beneath the midnight sun
I am from the excited howl of huskies on New Years Day
and rainy days spent picking blueberries in the misty hills of Hatcher's Pass

I am from long family road trips with my nose dipped inside books
the soothing sound of Harry Potter being read out loud
I am from Trixie Belden and Animorphs and the Babysitters Club
and nights dreaming up stories beneath the stars

I am from hot coffee, smoky campfires, a cat's graceful purr
the quivering anticipation of thunder's boom
I am from the bottomless black of the owl's eyes
and the mystery of whale flukes disappearing beneath the waves

I am from waterfall visions and early dawn thoughts
the faery magic that hides just beyond the trees
I am from the tornadoed doom of impossible wishes
and the quiet dragon fire biding it's time inside my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment