Saturday, May 10, 2014

A Few Short Rambling Thoughts

This week I got to spend a few spectacular days in one of the most magical places on earth - Disneyworld! I experienced so much and left with beautiful memories that I plan on sharing hearing here, but I want to write it right, so I won't be doing that today. Instead here are just a few small things.
On my trip I started, and finished, reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. I know I'm a little behind on the times, and that this book was so popular a movie came out in 2011. The story follows the character of Jacob Jankowski, who after experiencing a family tragedy, is unable to finish veterinary school and instead finds himself acting as vet for the train travelling Benzini Brothers circus. I loved the book, and found my imagination captivated from beginning to end; I loved being able to glimpse into the circus world of the 1930s. However I  definitely was left feeling very grateful that world no longer exists. The exploitation of both the circus "freaks" and the animals that were used, is something that hurts the heart.This story ended beautifully, and left one with the possibility of adventure no matter what their age or where they are in life.

This morning I woke up to a cloudy, dreary sky and rain singing on the streets. It was very hard for me to leave the alluring dream of spending the morning in pjs, curled up in bed, reading and drinking coffee out of my new Disney cup. I did manage to do so, and headed off to the humane society to volunteer dressed in jeans and a light sweater. The cold and rain lasted through my morning at the shelter, and a beautiful hike at Bradbury Mountain. While it has since warmed up (and dried up), I do love that the weather is such that I can still comfortably wear my favorite sweaters. I know that this sentiment is not something shared by the majority of my friends in Maine.

Lastly, this past week my beautiful younger sister Kairi celebrated a birthday AND graduated from college!!! Even from 4000+ miles away I could tell how hard she worked at school, and how tough it was at times for her to stick through it. I am so proud of her and am very excited for this next phase of her life!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment