Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Randoms

Growing up some of my favorite books of all time were the Ramona Quimy books. I'm not sure if I ever actually read the books, but we had them on tape, and I listened to them over and over and over. I loved Ramona, and I probably always will. I stumbled across this quote yesterday, and so far it's my favorite quote of this week:

Beverly Cleary when asked “WHY DO YOU THINK THAT CHILDREN LOVE RAMONA QUIMBY SO MUCH?” responded:
“Because [Ramona] does not learn to be a better girl. I was so annoyed with the books in my childhood, because children always learned to be ‘better’ children and, in my experience, they didn’t. They just grew, and so I started Ramona… and she has never reformed. [She’s] really not a naughty child, in spite of the title Ramona the Pest. Her intentions are good, but she has a lot of imagination, and things sometimes don’t turn out the way she expected.”


On a more serious note, I read this article this morning and wanted to pass it along. I had never even come remotely close to considering the effects of those tiny little beads that always made my skin feel so clean. I am glad that action is being taken, and hope that it spreads throughout the country. I'm also intrigued by the alternative idea they offer at the end - using cocoa nibs - I will have to come up with my own DIY scrub. Not only will it be more environmentally friendly, but I have no doubt it will smell better too!

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/21/313157701/why-those-tiny-microbeads-in-soap-may-pose-problem-for-great-lakes


No comments:

Post a Comment