Wednesday, December 24, 2014

My Maine Christmas

Tomorrow will be my fourth Christmas since moving to Maine, but the first year I will actually spend the holiday in this state. I've known pretty much since last Christmas that this year instead of travelling to see family I would be staying here, and I was fairly excited about it. I wanted to have one Maine Christmas experience and since I am most likely moving next fall I knew this was my last chance. But about the first week of December I realized I had underestimated just how homesick I would become and how quickly that feeling could drain away my excitement for the holiday. A year ago I was getting ready to go home. I was going to spend Christmas in Alaska with my mom and sisters, I was going to watch my little sister get married, I felt great about life, and I had no idea, not even an inkling, of all that would transpire the following year. At that time I felt on top of the world. With those memories swirling around in my head, and the effects of the last year still weighing on my mind I started to feel a little overturned.

With my homesickness kicking into overdrive I decided that, since there was no way I was going home this year,  I needed to do something that would cheer me up and put me back into the Christmas spirit. So I asked myself "What never fails to make me happy?". The answer was pretty immediate and one that should surprise no one - Harry Potter of course!  Now let me stop right here and say to anyone who might be wondering, yes I do realize I can be slightly ridiculous with my level of Harry Potter obsession, but frankly I really don't care.

Once I had decided that I was going to have  Harry Potter Christmas I began racking my brain to see what easy, fun, cheap options there were out there to bring my vision to fruition. I already had a Gryffindor shirt, a Hogwarts blanket, and Harry Potter jewelry but I definitely wanted more. I found a few good ideas and well, here are the results...

First things first was decorating the tree, or should I say trees since I have two small trees rather than one large one. I decided  instead of my normal snowflake tree toppers that Sorting Hats were the way to go, so I whipped up a couple of those.  Afterwards I crocheted a couple of Gryffindor and Slytherin house tree scarves and wrapped them around the top (if anyone is wondering why I chose Slytherin it's simply because those were the colors of yarn I already had). They looked good, but I still thought there was something missing...and then I found it...a little white owl. Perched atop one of the hats my tree transformation was complete!








I also made some very cool wrapping paper for gifts - now who wouldn't want to get something with Owl Post stamped on it?!?









And then on to my FAVORITE project and new apartment decoration...Hanging Candles!! These were surprisingly easy to make and super simple to hang up (although the kitten climbing up my leg in an attempt to attack them made that last bit a little difficult). They aren't quite as magical as the real thing, but they are pretty close and every time I look at them I smile. There is a really, really good chance that these will remain up until the day I move out of this apartment. :)







When I first came up with this idea I had asked my best friend for some craft suggestions. Not only did she give me some, but being the awesome best friend who supports my Harry Potter craziness, she sent me some as well....




Today should be a rather enjoyable Christmas Eve. I'm in the midst of a Harry Potter marathon, and plan to spend the day watching movies, baking goodies, and crafting. I'm drinking some of my favorite coffee, Christmas music is playing, I have purring kittens wandering about, and happiness tomorrow to look forward to. I have definitely rekindled the Christmas glow and excitement that I was looking for!!


No comments:

Post a Comment