Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Normally


I normally don't like rain in December, 
but tonight I do.

I liked the way it danced on the roof of my car driving home,
I liked the blur of the lights through the rain soaked windows,
I liked how the tires sang as they drove down the streets.

I liked the chill I felt when the drops touched my cheeks,
Followed by the warmth that enveloped me once safely home.
I liked the delight I saw in my kittens eyes as she watched it shower the world while staying safe and dry inside.

I liked the comfort that came with fleece blankets and hot tea,
with a favorite TV show and a good book to read.
And later on I'll close my eyes, and fall into dreams listening to the lullaby outside.

I normally don't like rain in December,
but sometimes you need something other than normal.



The first two lines of this poem came to me yesterday on my way home from work, the rest came later throughout the evening. It's a rough draft, far from great, but I'm not sure when inspiration will give me the right words to complete it. So I'm sharing it now and maybe more will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment