Sunday, May 17, 2015

                     Cobwebs
I took the road paved with cobwebs of time,
  having nothing but hope as to what I would find
I stumbled on darkness and was taunted by fear,
  I worried I'd lose before even a year

But while time comes with struggles, it also gives strength,
  and as I persevered troubles, I began to find faith
And slowly those cobwebs of time were changed,
  woven through by my story, my life, my name

My journey's not over, I've a lifetime to go,
  but I have no doubt of the path that I chose
I know any other would have brought me no peace,
  and that only this trail leads to freedom - leads to me.


I woke up this morning with the first line of this poem being the first conscious thought I had. I wish I knew what I'd been dreaming of that would have caused me to bring those words with me to the waking world, but I truly can't remember. I know I didn't wake up feeling anxious or scared, so I know it wasn't a bad dream and that definitely counts for something. I actually woke up in quite a wonderful way, on my own - no alarm or loud noise ripping me from sleep - with a purring Faelina next to me, and birds singing outside. It was early and last nights rain had left gray skies lingering, so I got dressed and went out for a walk. Just before I left, on a whim, I grabbed a small notebook and pen. I thought that maybe I would work on the rest of the poem I had woken up with, and as I circled the quiet, calm beauty of the Bowdoin quad that is exactly what happened. I have no clear idea of what it is supposed to be about, only the knowledge that these words were in my heart and they needed to be put to paper.

There is one other thing I'd like to share. Yesterday while perusing the internet, I found a list someone had written of things to be happy about. I loved this idea and decided to create one of my own. It is not all encompassing by any means. There are hundreds of events and happenstances with which to be happy about, but I did have to draw a line somewhere. So without further ado, here is my list.

I hope you all have a lovely Sunday afternoon, 'Fair thoughts and happy hours attend on you...'

No comments:

Post a Comment