Sunday, August 2, 2015

Delectable Delights

Over time most places build up a reputation and become known for certain foods or special dishes, things that a person can point to and say 'That is quintessentially ...". Norway is no exception, and if one just researches 'Norwegian foods' online they will be provided with a bevy of such delights. However, eating out in Norway is kind of ridiculously expensive, so the majority of my meals and snacks have been at home and made from what I could buy at the grocery store. Not to mention food is kind of a tricky subject with me. I have taste tested a few things though and that is what this post is about.

Seafood
If you look up Norwegian foods, every single result will at least mention seafood. I thought Alaskan's loved their salmon and halibut, but Norwegian's take it to a whole other level. Walking down the seafood aisle at the store you'll find dozen's of smoked salmon options, endless supplies of shrimp, fish burgers, fish pudding (this looks truly horrendous), stuffed crab, crab legs, lobster, oysters, mussels, I could go on forever. Obviously I couldn't let my time here in Norway pass without tasting some of local sea fare.

Smoked salmon is a big favorite, and is something I've been a fan of for years, but another popular salmon choice is "gravlaks". This is a raw salmon that has been cured, usually with salt, sugar and dill, that is typically served on bread with some kind of mustard or dill sauce. I bought some laks to try at home. I love smoked salmon. I've discovered I do not particularly care for gravlaks.
Luckily, my other Norwegian seafood experience was much more enjoyable.

In a turn of events that was pure luck, my aunts Betty and Donna were on vacation in Norway, and the dates and location of their or trip just happened to coincide with mine. So Kairi, Eric and I arranged to have dinner with them on their last night in Stavanger. Eric and I wanted a place with seafood, and my aunts had met a couple who raved about a popular restaurant in the heart of Stavanger's Sentrum, Fisketorget. It was my first time eating in a restaurant since I'd gone to Mercy. I was nervous but think I managed pretty well. Kairi and I shared 4 kilos of local shrimp, or 'reker'. It was very good, especially when the shrimp was dipped in the pesto sauce that came with it. I tried Eric's mussels - not my thing, had a bite of Betty's link - super delicious, and a couple spoonful's of Donna's fish soup - hands down the best fish soup I've ever had. The meal also came with rich wholesome bread for everyone to enjoy - and I did.



Brunost
Cheese, a delicious food loved by many and Norway has one that I've never seen anywhere else. Brunost, or brown cheese, is described as "a sweet, dense caramelized brown Scandinavian whey cheese...it gets its brown colour and fudge like texture from the slow simmering process which allows the milk sugars to caramelize". My description "IT'S REALLY GOOD!"  Most people will have brunost in thin slices on rye bread, but my favorite is a ciabatta roll, topped with mustard, brunost and mashed avocado.



Solbaersaft
The day I hiked Kjerag, our guide passed around cups of hot black current juice for everyone to enjoy with their lunch. It was rich and sweet and super, super delicious. He told us it was a locally made product and we even made a brief stop at the shop he purchased it at on our way back to Stavanger. Although I'd gotten none that day I made another visit to that shop after hiking Månafossen and purchased a bottle. I didn't plan on drinking it hot though, I had another idea in mind. In Germany there is a very popular drink called "apfelschorle", which is a combination of apple juice and sparkling water. I haven't seen any apfelschorle here but I got the idea to make my own Norwegian version with my new bottle of solbaresaft! The verdict: 'solbaresaftschorle' amazing!  (and yes that is just juice and sparkling water, not wine, I just got a little fancy with the glass!)



Lappes
My first day here, Katy had mentioned Norwegians pancakes called lappes. She said they were good and I should try them and I got my chance this week. An hour away from the house is Byrkjedalstunet, a charming little hotel/restaurant/gift shop (it's the place wth the
solbaresaft). I have been there four times this month and it is hands down one of my favorite places in Norway. They have lappes, and after Månafossen I decided it was time to try one. I went up to the counter and asked for "en kaffe og en lappe". The girl placed one on a plate and asked if I'd like raspberry or strawberry jam on top. Since I'd been eating a lot of actual strawberries here I chose the first option. Then she asked if I would like some sour cream on top too. Now I'm a person who thinks the mere act of putting butter on pancakes ruins them, I'm pretty sure that sour cream would turn me off them forever so I did not elect that option. It turns out that lappes taste just like pancakes, but really well made ones! I've looked up lappes online but haven't found anything referencing them. According to the internet, Norwegians call their pancakes 'pannekake', but lappes or pannekakes - they're good either way!


Sjokoladepiken
Tucked in the heart of the Sentrum sweets is a tiny little shop called Sjokoladepiken or Chocolate
Girl. From the moment I saw it I was completely charmed. It offers locally made chocolates, a full espresso bar, and handmade ice cream. I have tried their espresso shots, Americano and hot chocolate - all exemplary. I took a small bite of Eric's chocolate ice cream - splendidly sweet. It took me a long time though - three weeks - to work my way up to the truffles, but I finally got there. I've tried their dark chocolate hazelnut, dark chocolate coffee and cognac, dark chocolate covered marzipan, and the 'Violetta' which is dark chocolate filled with dark chocolate crème. The marzipan one was my favorite, but I would happily bite into any one of them again!


That's about it as far as local specialties that I have tried. There are a few other popular Norwegian dishes such as 'Smalahove' which is literally a lambs head that has been salted and boiled, and 'Lutefisk' which is stockfish softened with water and lye before being cooked, but I don't think I will ever feel the need to try either of those ever. Norway also has a national drink called 'Aquavit' a "a potato-based spirit flavored with herbs such as caraway seeds, anise, dill, fennel and coriander" that is apparently a popular Christmas option, but again I don't think that's one I'll ever feel the need to taste. 'Kransekake' on the other hand, an almond wreath cake consisting of 18 layers, is a Norway favorite that I've actually had a couple of times back in the states and that I do definitely recommend. Chocolate is of course a very popular favorite among everyone, particularly milk chocolate, and huge chocolate bars by the company 'Freia' fill the aisles at the grocery stores. Norwegians also have an affinity for licorice - mainly black licorice - and one can find several different options for this treat just about anywhere.

One things for sure though, whether your taste buds prefer sweet or savory and safe well prepared basics or adventurous question mark meals, you're bound to find something that satisfies here.

No comments:

Post a Comment