Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Beginnings of Goodbye




So it's been awhile. Three weeks. I've taken a bit of a break from writing since returning to the states with several reasons why. Mostly I have been trying to focus my energy into learning to be ok that I'm here again, that I'm no longer in Norway. When I left it behind I felt I was saying goodbye to Alaska. It's as though a piece of my heart has been ripped away, and as wonderful as Maine is I just haven't been able to breathe right since. Among the many things I learned in Norway, one of the biggest is that for my life to be whole I need to live within mountains. It hurts to be away from them. I am in the process of turning that knowledge into reality by planning a move back west; however, I am so far clueless as to where and when exactly I will go. I hope to know soon, and will share with you all once I figure it out.

It has been strange to not have a set schedule and routine to go back to. The fact that I'm not waking up and driving to work each day feels foreign and more than a little disconcerting. The cats love that I'm home more, especially Faelina, and I am doing my best to stay busy. I have lined up some temporary work that will begin next week, and most days I'm spend at least a couple hours looking for full time work out west.  I've been volunteering at the animal shelter quite a bit, and I am also letting myself take time to enjoy some of my favorite solo activities.

I am reading more now than I have in ages. I pieced together a jigsaw puzzle for
the first time in years (Faelina very enthusiastically took on the role of playing with the puzzle pieces all over the apartment!). I went over to a friends in the middle of a wicked hot afternoon to swim laps and cool off in her pool. And held an impromptu art night with my neighbor. Pretty much as soon as I landed in Norway, my night owlish tendencies came out in full force and my return to Maine has done nothing to quell that. It is rare for me to close my eyes before midnight and my evenings are spent in quiet happiness as I dive into whatever sparks my interest that night. I walk daily through Bowdoin but am no longer limited only to the afternoon hours; I can go during the sunrise, right at midday, or at night in the moonlight. I got my hands on small booklet "A Women's History Walking Trail" that led me down Maine street, through the Bowdoin quad, and past neighborhood homes filling my mind with stories of the strong women who helped shape this town into what it is today. To my delight, one trail led me right back to my apartment. I had always wondered what the upper floors of my building used to be and I now know they were once a high quality dressmakers shop.

There are also town events and activities that work always prevented me from attending but can now explore and participate in at leisure. On my first day back I walked down the street to listen to that night's 'Music at the Mall', a weekly summer event where a local band sings in the gazebo at the park entertaining young and old alike. A couple days later I discovered that the same park plays host to a small summer Farmers Market every Tuesday and Friday morning. I had never known this because I was always at work during that time. I love being able to walk down and buy delicious, locally grown kholrabi, golden beets and summer squash. There's even a stand selling local coffee!

Speaking of coffee, I was ecstatic to learn about the 'Free Coffee Fridays' at my library. I mean coffee and books - it's the best combination?! The library also had an evening craft night, where the public was invited to come make buttons, magnets and coasters out of old maps. My neighbor and I both went and we were instantly swept up in the excitement an bustle of craft making. It truly was an event for everyone and around us were parents with young children, middle aged couples and singles of all ages. As we all rifled through pages of maps in search of our favorite places the stories of where we had each been couldn't help but be told, and the sight of all the places we still had yet to explore ignited our wanderlust like wildfire. I had fun with all the crafts but definitely got a little carried away with the button maker! Another library event was an evening showing of "Exposed - USDA's Secret War on Wildlife", a video created by the Defense of Predators organization. To say I enjoyed that would be a stretch, I was almost in tears at one point, but I did find it incredibly informative and am glad I went. I am posting a link to the video here and ask that you all take the time to watch it as well.

A much more pleasant movie experience, was Brunswick's "Movies in the Park".
I'd never attended this before since it was always held late on a work night. I almost didn't go this time, only the knowledge that this was my last chance to ever attend persuaded me. I appeased my inner introvert by promising I could leave after a half hour. As I reached the park though I felt the edges of that promise begin to unravel when I saw the path leading into it was lit with sparkling lanterns hanging from the tree branches above me. It was completely dark by that point and the light from the movie screen was the only thing that allowed me to see the crowd of people spread out on the hill in front of it. Halfway up the hill I stopped and leaned against a tree taking in the scene of families and friends grouped together on blankets and sitting in camp chairs, eyes fixed on the screen, and the sound of the movie filling the air. They even had a small stand to buy popcorn if one was so inclined. I was enchanted by it all and only left once those ending credits flashed on the screen...

These past weeks have made me fall in love with Brunswick and Maine all over again. The idea that I will soon no longer be able to step outside and walk down the street to Bowdoin, go sit in the peace of my library, or step inside to Gelato Fiasco for my favorite coffee saddens me. I think if Brunswick did have mountains I would be ok and could stay here happily for years more. But it doesn't, and I'm not, so I must go. I am thankful though that I have been granted this time right now to fully take in an enjoy all it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment