Sunday, May 14, 2017

Hi Mom


Hi Mom,

Happy Mother’s Day! I wish I could be there to celebrate you in person, but I hope at least that you are enjoying a day of peace and light. I hope you had a fabulous breakfast, partook in lots of flower shopping, and got to hold each of your grandsons. I hope that you feel loved and special, because you are.
 
Not long ago, I was given a writing challenge which asked me to share five blessings in my life. I tried to forgo the obvious (family, friends, Faelina, etc.…) and pick a few of the slightly more subtle gifts instead. The first thing I thought of was “My mother’s wild spirit”. I wrote that you were brave and had sought to a life full of adventure, refusing to live by any other’s wishes.
 
I’m sure that marriage and motherhood calmed you somewhat, but I think your wild essence remained. Growing up you shared that sprit with us girls, through mushing and road trips and a refusal to keep your beliefs and opinions quiet. Without those lessons I might not have had the courage to seek out my own dreams, realize my own freedom.
 
I hope that one day I will be able to celebrate Mother’s Day with you in person again. Until then though never forget you were wild once, don’t let them tame you.
 
I love you forever,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment