Monday, August 27, 2018

First Impressions

I've been in Bellingham three days now. I've visited the Saturday Farmer's Market, Fairhaven Historic District, Boulevard Park, Whatcom Falls Park, Bloedel-Donovan Park, and Woods Coffee (one of several locations). I've nailed down locations for grocery stores, the post office, my bank and the public library. So far I like Bellingham. Still I don't quite feel comfortable.

I'm fairly certain that has to do with my situation and not the setting. Unemployed, temporary living arrangements, knowing no one, unsure when or if any of that will change, etc... It's unpleasant to think about. Actually living it has given me a mildly nauseous sort of sensation. Only instead of settling into my stomach it trickles slowly throughout my body in an attepmt to induce full blown panic. I'm trying not to let it derail me; reminding myself that I did choose this massive life upheaval. I'm giving my level best to instead focus upon the discoveries I've delighted upon so far.

There are wild blackberries along all the walking paths. I love blackberries, but almost never buy them, so being free to step off a trail and randomly grab a few is lovely.
Without even trying, I've found four Little Free Libraries. I know there are some in Utah but I never saw one, so the fact that I've stumbled upon this many already is very exciting.
I can smell the ocean again. While I am forever and always a mountain girl, it wasn't until I moved to  Utah that I realized I had grown to rely on the oceans close presence. I didn't regularly visit the beaches in Alaska or Maine, but they were always there whenever I woke up from dreams of the waves. It's comforting to be close to it's wild mystery again.
Plastic bags aren't available in the groceries stores. There are only paper ones, and those you have to pay for. Some people might find that irritating but one of the things that drew me to Washington was the more eco-conscious culture, and so far Bellingham hasn't let me down on that front.
Gray skies and cooler air. Today was actually a blue sky, sunshine kind of day, but the temperatures never rose above the mid-seventies. And the past two days were full of clouds and the delicate drizzle of rain. After three summers dehydrating in the unforgiving Utah sun, the weather here feels incredible. Also, I love seeing the clear magic of raindrops gracing all the tree leaves, flower petals and ripe blackberries.

I feel very overwhelmed right now and there is a wicked fear lacing itself through my veins. Yet it is my hope that as more days pass I will become settled in my new city. Or that an exciting opportunity elsewhere presents itself. Until then, I will wrap my thoughts and fingers around the wisdom of these words: Do not expect your life to return to normal. That is not what you had in mind when you entered on this odyssey. Normal is a conduct that has no frame of reference in the realities for which you are preparing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment