Sunday, August 9, 2020

Trees Drip Glitter

 Throughout this time of pandemic, my writing friend and I have been faithfully exchanging (via e-mail) 100 word stories every Sunday. This past week, we were to write a story ending with the words "That's everything, my love". A line borrowed from Victor Lavalle's brilliant/horrifying The Changeling (highly recommend it!). 

Anyways, this week I wrote my story. Actually, I wrote 3. The one I sent to my friend is not even remotely close to what I am sharing here. It was a fairly decent collection of words. It certainly had walked through the realm of semi-logical sense. But I like this one better. Despite the fact that it well exceeds the 100 word limit and refuses to make a lick of sense to anyone that is not me. I have always loved to exist inside my own kind of logic. Also, on my hike yesterday, the trees actually did drip a drop of blue glitter on my hands. I have no idea how or where or why that is possible, but how could I not share a story inspired by such magic?!

As always, I love you all and hope you are healthy, whole and at peace 💙


~*~


I watch the numbers dwindle; the skin wither; the trees drip blue glitter on the leaves of my hands. 

Whispers ‘Just a little bit more’ she dumps my whole longing on her bottomless floor

I see the stars; landing on me hair. Such fire, such sweet, sweet glow! And with stars fallen, the stairs be crumblin’, heavens lost, oh despair, despair, despair!

Whispers ‘Unravel, unravel, unravel, I’ll eat your whole soul’

If owls were lightening, I’d want them to strike me every time. Oh! look inside their eyes, holdin’ such galaxies and lives. Oh! hear it now, the thunder laughin’. Such joy wash in’ ‘way my bones. Yet I think it be time for me to find me way back home.  

Whispers ‘You are almost gone’ wraps my breath to death with a twirl of her thumb


I think I be gone now, my time be stole’, I be lost!  

Whispers, blithesome, ‘That’s everything, my love’.



~*~*~



*



No comments:

Post a Comment