Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Day of Living


If one was to step out the front door of my building turn left and walk on for a few minutes they would find themselves at the bank of the Androscoggin river. There is a small park there that was established to celebrate Brunswick's 250th anniversary of becoming town, and in that park are a few wooden benches that promise their users a lovely calm river view. Two summers ago, I got into the habit of getting coffee on a Saturday morning and heading to one of those benches to read, drink, and soak up the beauty before me. However, once I started volunteering at the animal shelter Saturdays I stopped this, and so it has been a very long time since I have been.

Today, after an brisk early morning walk through the Bowdoin quad, I stopped in at Little Dog Coffee Shop, poured myself some coffee, sprinkled some cocoa and cinnamon on top, and then walked down to the river. I sat on a bench and lost myself in the pages of my book, the warm deliciousness of my coffee, and the sun rising over the river in front of me. My being there brought a happiness to my spirit that has stayed with me through all of this day. What I did doesn't matter so much, but everything I did was because, in that moment, I wanted to be doing that and nothing else. I created, I explored, I learned, I did only things that excited my passions. It is the most beautiful thing to live life like that; I hope that someday I will come to a place where all my days are like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment