Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Looking for the Good in the Not so Great Days

Today has not been my favorite day. Last night my body gave up the fight against the cold that had been threatening for days and this morning I'm feeling the full effect. My neighbor has literally lost his mind resulting in frustration and interrupted sleep thanks to his music and yelling at all hours of the day and night. And the combination of these two things have left me feeling rather gloomy.

Right now, I want nothing more then to be home in my new coffee pjs, wrapped up in blankets, and curled up with my cats, reading and drinking hot tea. (Of course with my neighbor the way he is right now that may or may not be as relaxing as it sounds) I don't like being in this frame of mind so when it happens I remind myself of the things I have and am grateful for, and look for something beautiful to lift my spirits.

So what am I grateful for? Today's random list includes: the book I'm currently reading "The Midwife of Hope River", pumpkin oatmeal, fleece blankets, cinnamon and nutmeg spices (especially when left to simmer on the stove), my cinnamon apple spice tea,  Synge's bill of perfect health she got from the vet yesterday, and Shakespeare plays. 

As for the something beautiful, I'm choosing a poem about my favorite season - autumn. I found this on Oatgasm one of my new favorite food blogs and it's author (who wrote this poem) has such a wonderful way of looking at the world....

On the eve of autumn, comes a woman of the earth
Her hands spread ancient wisdom, her touch gives grave and birth
With the grace of the season, she descends upon the land
Breathing life into the breeze and turning leaves by hand
Her eyes are made of sapphire, with a rippling ocean stare
As if she soaked up all the sky and left it white and bare
Her body cloaked in ivy lace, her hair let loose like vines
Her skin is dark and aging, like red autumnal wine
She wears a perfect perfume, of leaves and morning light
Mixed with sun drops in the day, and silver stars by night
She is the very reason wolves will howl by the pack
Even though they know the moon will never howl back
You’d be lucky, if you caught her, for she seldom makes a sound
Save the quiet crackle of her feet against the ground
If you listen quietly, you might hear her call
And only then will you know that summer’s faded into fall.

Have you seen the girl with a crown on her head
Made of forests and brambles and leaves burning red?
In springtime she beckons to the light of the sun
And in autumn she trembles as the leaves come undone
Her skin glows a sunset and her eyes a bright gleam
When she walks, in her path, grows a rich shade of green
From her hands grow blossoms and her feet grow roots
Verdant life seems to spring in every wake of her foot
You’ll know she is sad when from the heavens it rains
For she holds all the oceans inside of her veins
If you see your rippling reflection in the mirror of a pond
You’ll know she is smiling at you from beyond
Her voice can be heard in the first silence of spring
Or in autumn when the meadowlark ceases to sing
And if you listen carefully, she might just let you know
What sort of secrets on today she’ll bestow.

No comments:

Post a Comment