Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Eyre Affair

Imagine living where a person can stop and then step into and out of time. A planet where dodos have been genetically recreated and are as popular a household pet as cats and dogs. Dream of a place where literature is so important there is a division of the law that is just for book crime and the question of whether Shakespeare really wrote those plays is a daily debate for everyone; a world where some are literally able to read themselves into the pages of a book and walk through those famous halls, interact with the characters we know, and sometimes even change the stories themselves...Now just think of the horror of one of those people stepping into a book and back out with one of those beloved characters in tow changing forever the course of that tale everywhere in the world....

That is the life of Thursday Next, the main character of the book "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. For anyone who loves reading, and especially enjoys a good classic or two, I recommend it. It's light-heartedly serious and an easy fun read, and you close the back cover feeling decidedly satisfied. And of course it's not possible to read such a book and not imagine being handed such a gift as to walk inside the pages of your beloved favorites!

So I end this post with a question for you all. If you were suddenly given the delicious possibility of opening a book and stepping into it's pages, handed the chance to walk through the lines which book would you choose? But I'm going to challenge you...since this book is written mostly around the authors of old I want you to choose a book that is at least 100 years today. I myself have been trying to figure out what I would choose under that rule; I' think I've narrowed it down, but it is a big decision so I'm still thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment