Friday, September 26, 2014

"This is My Last" moments


Maine St in Brunswick
Not long ago I mentioned the likelihood that this year would be my last in Maine – that after 4 years it would be time for me to go explore

somewhere new. If I stick to the 4 year mark that puts me leaving this beautiful state sometime next August. Of course when someone plans on a permanent leave they will inevitably experience many “this is my last” moments. Their last time to visit a favorite place, enjoy a favorite treat, and spend time with good friends. My last year in Alaska it seemed like these moments occurred daily. There were times the reality of those “this is my last” moments struck me so hard they brought tears to my eyes. Still I left and I did so because I knew it was the right thing.


I love Maine and so naturally I knew that in my last year the “this is my last” times would come. Well yesterday driving to a friend’s after work I had my first. I wasn’t expecting it, but as I was driving through the streets marveling at the beauty of the fall colors I suddenly remembered that a year from now I would be far away from Maine and its magical autumn wonder.  I love this time of year so much am beyond excited for these next few months to unfold. I foresee lots of laughing with friends, exciting adventures, good food, and of course coffee from Gelato Fiasco. However, I know that many moments will be bitter sweet as I live them knowing I soon won't be able to anymore. I plan to soak up as much of these months as I can and to enjoy them to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment