Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Day at the Park, An Evening on the City Steps

Kairi and Eric flew home this morning. I am so glad they were able to make the trip out here, that we could take part in some Norwegian adventures together. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I see them - and the rest of my family - again.

As I drove back to the house, I realized that I wanted to stay closer to home today, so set my sight towards the park just a short jaunt up the neighborhood behind my house. With 8 km (4.98 miles) of trails, Sørmarka Park holds the title of the largest hiking spot in Stavanger and leads to all manner of exciting Stavanger attractions. I had ventured into it's hilly woods (emphasis on hilly!) a couple times before but decided to go further than I ever have before.



After 30 minutes of soaking up the beauty of the moss covered trees, deep green shrubs, and quiet magic of solitude I arrived at the lovely and peaceful Botanisk Hage (or Botanical Garden).
 
 
Once I had taken my fill of that lovely place with it's sweet smelling air I continued on. I trudged uphill, wound in and out of trees, passed the outskirts of a neighborhood and then came to a halt in front of my next discovery - JernaldergĂĄrden. An reconstruction of an Iron Age farm that allows people today to peek into the lives of those 1500 years ago.


 

After leaving the farm I saw that the University of Stavanger was just a short walk away, and so strolled through the campus. It didn't quite have the powerful  historical allure that Bowdoin's campus does (I fear I have been quite spoiled in that sense). Still, there were a few cool things for the passerby to admire.




By then I felt I should be heading back to the house, but there was one more stop that I wanted to seek out before leaving. The Ullandhaug Tower is a communications tower that was built in 1964. Sixty-four meters (210 ft) high and built on a hill 135 meters (443 ft) above sea level, the structure has steps encircling it's outside that allow passersby a chance to enjoy a beautiful view Stavanger and surround fjords. The view was definitely worth the climb.


~~~~

I spent my evening at the Stavanger Sentrum. Knowing I only have a week left in Stavanger I have been struck with a need to spend as much time there as possible. I stepped and stumbled over the cobblestone streets, ducked into a few shops for some gifts and souvenirs, and stopped at one of my favorite stores Sjokoladepiken (The Chocolate Girl) for a coffee and chocolate. I took my coffee to go and walked with it in hand to the big stone steps in front of the Stavanger Cathedral. The air was cool with only the slightest breeze. The sky a happy gray with no hint of rain. Ships, quiet  and  still the water before me, promised an evening unburdened with worry. Young families and groups of friends passed by, their laughter adding to the carefreeness the evening. I relaxed and sipped my coffee. I pulled out my dark chocolate marzipan truffle and  enjoyed the sweet contrast it gave when compared to the bitter tones of my Americano. It was a perfect moment, one I never wanted to end...

 



No comments:

Post a Comment