Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Few Norwegianisms

I can't believe it's already been a week since I touched down in Norway. I am completely entranced with every detail about this trip, I'm having a total blast, and I already dread the day I have to step onto a plane that will take me home (although I do miss my cats, and thank you to Mary and Star for the pictures you've posted of each!). I have picked up quite a number of interesting facts and details about the people here and the land itself, and today I'm going to share just a few random things I've learned.


Public Right of Access
 

The afternoon I arrived, Katy took me out for a walk with her dog Levi. We talked about miscellaneous things as she led me through a neighborhood of houses, under a bridge, and then out onto a field of barley on one side and milking cows on the other. At one point during our conversation, she said "Just so you know, in Norway they have a law that lets you walk just about anywhere. In case you were thinking it was strange that we were just walking through a farm, that's why, it's because we're allowed to". I recalled skimming over an online article about such a thing and the nature of what it entailed, but like so many online articles, I hadn't read it thoroughly much less absorbed any of the information. In the past few days I have looked into that law more and here is what I've discovered.

There is such a thing called  "Public Rights of Way" or "Right to Roam", that states anyone in Norway, resident or not, is allowed to walk through forests, mountains, coast line even if that land is privately owned. You are also allowed to camp on these outlying areas, although you must stay at least  150 meters (492 feet) away from the nearest house. If you stay for more than one night you do need to get the owners permission, unless you are in a mountain or "desolate" area in which case permission is not needed. Berry and plant picking is completely allowed. The sources I've looked at do say for areas considered "inlying" such as homes, cultivated lands, fields, meadows etc... there are more restrictions on what you can do, but they also go on to say that if you go into any area with a fence, just make sure you shut the gate behind you. And indeed, Katy said she's seen local Norwegians do just that.

A few additional rules associated with this concept are: no fires between April 15 through September 15, all dogs must be on a leash, motorized vehicles are usually not allowed, and "with the exceptions of fishing for saltwater fish and other hunting for huntable marine species, hunting and fishing is not a public right".



Shopping for Food
 

Katy took me to the grocery store right after picking me up at the airport, just so I could have a few of my favorite staple foods for the next couple of days. In Norway there are two main grocery stores called Coop and Rema, but a third had just recently opened up and it was there that Katy took me because for her it was the most American like grocery store. She explained that most stores here are very small, with narrow aisles, and not a huge selection. The exception to this is fish and meat, Norwegians are a people who enjoy beef, chicken, pork etc... and they have a crazy amount of fish -
smoked salmon, lox, fish burgers or cakes, fish pudding (which sounds disgusting), and frozen fish you can cook yourself. While walking through the aisle pointed out something that I probably never would have picked up on myself, which is that Norwegians really don't buy anything in bulk. What Americans would consider a small jar of peanut butter, is pretty much the biggest one that they have. Instead of the milk aisle plenty of gallon sized options - you're really going to only pick up something that will last one person a few days. There are no extra large boxes of cereal or huge gallons of ice cream. Katy said that most people here only go shopping for food to last them a few days, and just make regular trips to the store a couple times each week. I tend to do this myself back home, but I know a few people who would really struggle with such a concept - especially those with large families.



Work Life
 
 
When they moved here, my friends received a book titled "New to Norway". The pages inside it provide a person who just moved to the country, useful information on work life, school systems, home ownership, motor vehicle ownership, taxes etc... I might possibly have a post just about the facts and tidbits offered in that book, but today I'll just share one. Every employee in the country has
25 days of paid holiday leave each calendar year. This is the case whether that employee is a doctor, a librarian, a waitress, or someone who works on a farm. And, each employee is "entitled to three continuous weeks' holiday during the main holiday period from 1 June to 30 September. Employees are entitled to take the remainder of their holidays in one continuous period". These 25 days do not include sick leave - that is a separate benefit. A few weeks before I left Maine, I listened to a podcast about how people in the US are increasingly not using the paid time off they get each year - that's of course if they work for an employer who gives time off. I think we need to look at how they do thinks in Europe, we might all be a happier group of people if we did.



A Country of Introverts
 

I cannot tell you how many times I have had a friend mention to me that when first introduced to each other they thought I was stuck up. Their reason for this was based solely on the fact that I kept to myself and didn't talk much - especially we were in a group of people. I also can't tell you how many times I've experience the same inner turmoil whenever I am walking down a hallway, or out on the street, or through the woods, and I see someone approaching me from the opposite direction. "Do I say hi? Do I just smile and nod? Do I stare straight ahead? Do I just look down at the ground and pretend I'm alone?", these questions are a constant stream, continually increasing in the rapidity of their repetition until the inevitable meeting comes and that other - usually unknown - person is passed. For those of you who think that type of thinking is crazy, welcome to the life of an introvert.

Well, apparently Norway is a country after my own heart and the majority of people here are introverts. I have been told by my friends, and every Norwegian that I have actually had a conversation with, that while the people who live here are truly good nice people, they just don't talk or even acknowledge you, unless they have a good reason. Katy said their neighbors think her and Joe are a little crazy because they say hi to them when passing and that just isn't done here. My brother-in-law mentioned how strange that felt for him just hours after he arrived. For me though, it's a huge sigh of relief, because finally I am surrounded by people who feel the way I do. And now, when I'm out walking the dog, or wandering the city, or exploring the trail system and I see someone else, I finally know the right way to react. Not only do I know, but it's something that comes naturally to me, it's comfortable, and that feels really good.

That's all for now, more insights into the Norwegian way of life to follow!







No comments:

Post a Comment