Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Roadtrips, "Running" and Birthdays!

I woke up this morning to a grayer sky than I've been living with the past couple days. While a gray sky in Norway is never a good excuse to nix any outdoor plans, I just wasn't feeling the activities I'd originally planned for the day. So after pet care, coffee and breakfast - in that order - I darted out to the car and steered my way towards Highway 44 and the route that would take me to one of my favorite places from last year, Byrkjedalstunet. It is a drive that can never be less than breathtaking, no matter if the sky is full of sparkling sun or billowy, crying clouds. I think I could drive it every day and never grow tired of it's quiet beauty. Never grow tired of it mentally/emotionally that is, for by the time I turned into the parking lot of my destination I was physically beginning to lag. I pursued the gift shop/candle factory for a bit before walking next door to the hotel restaurant for a coffee. I could have taken my elixir of life to go (they call it "takeaway" here!) but chose instead to sit for a bit and enjoy the quiet bustling of the kitchen and the near emptiness (it was always super crowded last summer) of the restaurant.

When I was finally ready to leave I decided to take an alternate road back, one that would lead me
through Gloppedalsura, an area of fallen avalanche boulders, remnants of an ice sheet that covered the area 10,000 years ago. While I did not appreciate the very narrow one lane road (meant for cars going both ways) that at times seemed to have me simultaneously clinging to the mountainside and a half second away from falling into the lake, the boulders were definitely a sight to behold. The many valleys, rivers, and lakes I passed through afterwards just as lovely as those I'd come across on my earlier drive. Overall I was very pleased with that last minute decision.

By the time I arrived back at the house the sky had become darker and the rainfall more frequent so I decided to stick close to home the rest of the day. I did feel the need for some fresh air though and so attempted to emulate a tough Norwegian (seriously Norwegians make Alaskans look like wimps) by going out for a quick run. Quick being the key word there, I lasted 2 minutes before needing to stop. Being out in the cool air felt so rejuvenating and wonderful though so I did continue walking for a bit before turning around. I walked into the front door with wet hair and a happy spirit, so in love with this country I can't even begin to put it into words.

There is one other thing today that makes me happy. Today a little girl, my best friends daughter, turns 3 years old! I remember when Steph first called me to say she was pregnant. I remember the nervous excitement I felt when I found out the baby was a girl (I was so worried the doctors got it wrong). I remember the very first time I saw her, sleeping in her moms arms just over a month after she was born. Getting to know her fierce little spirit over the last year has been a true, absolute joy. I'm sorry that I'm not able to celebrate her birthday with her but am definitely there in spirit. And until get back and can present her with her real birthday present, here's a few short phrases to show just how happy I am that she's here.

She's being 'kissed' by faeries and sprinkles in the hair,
She's sassy independence singing Frozen everywhere
She's giggles full of glee over Shirley Temple curls,
She's sparkling matching jelly shoes on outings with the girls
She's a princess and a tomboy and Wonder Woman too,
She's chasing bubbles with delight around the living room
She's trouble when she wants to be, she's her mamma's favorite girl,
She's filled with magic happiness, dancing through the world


Happy Birthday Faith!


~

No comments:

Post a Comment