Saturday, January 24, 2015

Snowy Saturday Delight

Anyone reading this knows I've spent the last couple weeks raving about my new found love for enjoying coffee in bed first thing upon waking. Well, this morning my eyes opened of their own accord well before my alarm was scheduled to go off. I knew I could have just rolled over, closed my eyes, and been asleep again within minutes but I was awake enough that the thought of coffee was one too tempting to ignore and I decided sleep could wait awhile and rose from bed. A few minutes later I was back, covered in blankets, and holding a steaming cup of coffee in both hands. The light coming in through the window was enough for me to read in between sips, and time passed quiet and peaceful. If this had been a weekday, or if I had any solid plans for this morning, I would have then thrown off the blankets and gotten started on my day. But today is Saturday, and my morning was free, so when I had taken that last sip I stayed in bed, watched cars pass by my window, and then closed my eyes and went back to sleep. It was awesome!! And now it is snowing outside and the world becomes more beautiful every second it falls. I love it!

A couple of years ago, in another attempt to write more, I decided that every day I would see what dictionary.com's "Word of the Day" was and write a poem with it. I was really good at keeping this up for about a month, and then kind of haven't done it since. Last night I stumbled upon those poems and decided I should probably start doing this again because some of them were kind of fun. I particularly liked this one:


The leaves blow in the wind,
with no choice on where they land,
guided by a force stronger than they can
dream of.

They know this, and do not
fight their fate.
Instead they dance,
knowing this is all they can control,
knowing they are beautiful.

We are like those leaves;
wrapped up in an energy beyond our comprehension.
Yet, we refuse to see that life is not ours
to command.
We struggle, and pretend, that we cull through the options
of our daily lives, that we alone direct,
our destiny.

We are so busy battling the impossible
we forget
to embrace the life we've been given, and
the power we do have.
By forgetting, we have lost our beauty.


We need to remember to dance.



No comments:

Post a Comment